Saviour of the Nations, Come
Download a MIDI of this hymn
1. Saviour of the nations, come;
Leave for us thy glorious home:
Glad Hosannas we will sing,
Greeting thee, our heavenly King.
2. With a loyal kiss of love
We receive thee from above,
With a solemn vow to pay
True allegiance to thy sway.
3. Come, Lord Jesu, take thy rest
In the convert sinnerís breast:
Make the quickeníd heart thy throne,
Son of God, the Virginís Son.
4. Welcome to this vale of tears,
Ripeness of the perfect years,
Born as man with man to dwell,
Come, our true Emmanuel.
5. God in man, incarnate God,
Sinless child of flesh and blood,
Man in God, thy brethren we,
Raise us up to God in thee.
1. Sion, at thy shining gates,
Lo! the King of glory waits:
Haste thy Monarchís pomp to greet,
Strew thy palms before his feet.
2. Christ, for thee their triple light
Faith and hope and love unite:
This the heacon we display
To proclaim thine Advent-day.
3. Come, and give us peace within:
Loose us from the bands of sin:
Take away the galling weight
Laid on us by Satanís hate.
4. Give us grace thy yoke to wear,
Give us strength thy cross to bear;
Make us thine in deed and word,
Thine in heart and life, O Lord.
5. Kill in us the carnal root,
That the Spirit may bear fruit:
Plant in us thy lowly mind;
Keep us faithful, loving, kind.
6. So, when thou shalt come again,
Judge of Angels and of men,
We with all thy Saints shall sing
Alleluias to our King.
1. Savior of the nations, come;
Virgin's Son, here make Thy home!
Marvel now, O heaven and earth,
That the Lord chose such a birth.
2. Not by human flesh and blood;
By the Spirit of our God
Was the Word of God made flesh,
Woman's offspring, pure and fresh.
3. Wondrous birth! O wondrous Child
Of the virgin undefiled!
Though by all the world disowned,
Still to be in heaven enthroned.
4. From the Father forth He came
And returneth to the same,
Captive leading death and hell
High the song of triumph swell!
5. Thou, the Father's only Son,
Hast over sin the victory won.
Boundless shall Thy kingdom be;
When shall we its glories see?
6. Brightly doth Thy manger shine,
Glorious is its light divine.
Let not sin overcloud this light;
Ever be our faith thus bright.
7. Praise to God the Father sing,
Praise to God the Son, our King,
Praise to God the Spirit be
Ever and eternally.
This is an Advent hymn -- make sure you add it to your collection, up there with Rorate Caeli Desuper, Creator Alme Siderum, and O Come, O Come Emmanuel. You and all those in your family should know these hymns well.
Return to Gregorian Chant Lyrics page