A Textual Concordance of the Holy Scriptures
from p. 302, 350-353
Make no covenant with the men of those countries... Neither shalt thou take
of their daughters a wife for thy son, lest after they themselves have committed
fornication, they make thy sons also to commit fornication with their gods.
(Ex. 34: 15, 16)
Neither shalt thou make marriages with them (the Chanaanites). Thou shalt not
give thy daughter to his son, nor take his daughter for thy son: For she will
turn away thy son from following me, that he may rather serve strange gods,
and the wrath of the Lord will be kindled, and will quickly destroy thee. (Deut.
7: 3, 4)
But if you will embrace the errors of these nations that dwell among you, and
make marriages with them, and join friendships: Know ye for a certainty that
the Lord your God will not destroy them before your face, but they shall be
a pit and a snare in your way, and a stumbling-block at your side, and stakes
in your eyes, till he take you away and destroy you from off this excellent
land, which he hath given you. (Jos. 23: 12, 13)
Then Samson went down to Thamnatha, and seeing there a woman of the daughters
of the Philistines, He came up, and told his father and his mother, saying:
I saw a woman in Thamnatha of the daughters of the Philistines: I beseech you,
take her for me to wife. And his father and mother said to him: Is there no
woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou
wilt take a wife of the Philistines, who are uncircumcised? And Samson said
to his father: Take this woman for me, for she hath pleased my eyes. (Judges
And Esdras the priest stood up, and said to them: You have transgressed, and
taken strange wives, to add to the sins of Israel. (1 Esd. 10:10)
OBSTINACY IN SIN, EXHORTATION AGAINST
Be not hasty to depart from his face, and do not continue in an evil work:
for he will do all that pleaseth him. (Eccles. 8:3)
Be not without fear about sin forgiven, and add not sin upon sin. (Ecclus.
Nor bind sin to sin: for even in one thou shalt not be unpunished. (Ecclus.
Wherefore, as the Holy Ghost saith: Today, if you shall hear his voice, Harden
not your hearts, as in the provocation; in the day of temptation, in the desert...
But exhort one another every day, whilst it is called today, that none of you
be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. (Heb. 3: 7, 8, 13)
OCCASIONS OF SIN, WE MUST AVOID THE
Now the serpent was more subtle than any of the beasts of the earth which the
Lord God had made. And he said to the woman: Why hath God commanded you, that
you should not eat of every tree of paradise? And the woman answered him, saying:
Of the fruit of the trees that are in paradise we do eat: But of the fruit of
the tree which is in the midst of paradise, God hath commanded us that we should
not eat; and that we should not touch it, lest perhaps we die... And the woman
saw that the tree was good to eat, and fair to the eyes, and delightful to behold:
and she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave to her husband who
did eat. (Gen. 3: 1-3, 6)
Go not up, for the Lord is not with you: lest you fall before your enemies.
Be not delighted in the paths of the wicked, neither let the way of evil men
please thee. Flee from it, pass not by it: go aside, and forsake it. (Prov.
4: 14, 15)
A hard heart shall fear evil at the last: and he that loveth danger, shall
perish in it. (Ecclus. 3:27)
Look not upon a woman that hath a mind for many: lest thou fall into her snares.
Use not much the company of her that is a dancer, and hearken not to her, lest
thou perish by the force of her charms. Gaze not upon a maiden, lest her beauty
be a stumbling-block to thee... Look not round about thee in the ways of the
city, nor wander up and down in the streets thereof. Turn away thy face from
a woman dressed up, and gaze not about upon another's beauty. For many have
perished by the beauty of a woman, and hereby lust is enkindled as a fire...
Many by admiring the beauty of another man's wife, have become reprobate, for
her conversation burneth as fire. Sit not at all with another man's wife, nor
repose upon the bed with her: And strive not with her over wine, lest thy heart
decline towards her, and by thy blood thou fall into destruction. (Ecclus.
9: 3-5, 7-9, 11-13)
He that toucheth pitch, shall be defiled with it: and he that hath fellowship
with the proud, shall put on pride. (Ecclus. 13:1)
Go not in the way of ruin, and thou shalt not stumble against the stones: trust
not thyself to a rugged way, lest thou set a stumbling-block to thy soul. (Ecclus.
Behold not everybody's beauty: and tarry not among women. (Ecclus. 42:12)
And if thy right eye scandalize thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee.
For it is expedient for thee that one of thy members should perish, rather than
that thy whole body be cast into hell. And if thy right hand scandalize thee,
cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is expedient for thee, that one of
thy members should perish, rather than that thy whole body go into hell. (Matt.
5: 29, 30)
Cast me not off in the time of old age: when my strength shall fail, do not
thou forsake me... And unto old age and gray hairs: O God, forsake me not. (Ps.
70: 9, 18)
But my horn shall be exalted like that of the unicorn: and my old age in plentiful
mercy. (Ps. 91:11)
They (the just) shall still increase in a fruitful old age: and shall be well
treated, that they may show, That the Lord our God is righteous, and there is
no iniquity in him. (Ps. 91: 15, 16)
If a man live many years, and have rejoiced in them all, he must remember the
darksome time, and the many days: which when they shall come, the things past
shall be accused of vanity. (Ecclus. 11:8)
Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth, before the time of affliction
come and the years draw nigh, of which thou shalt say: They please me not: Before
the sun, and the light, and the moon and the stars be darkened, and the clouds
return after the rain: When the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the
strong men shall stagger, and the grinders shall be idle in a small number,
and they that look through the holes shall be darkened: And they shall shut
the doors in the street, when the grinder's voice shall be low, and they shall
rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of music shall grow
deaf. And they shall fear high things, and they shall be afraid in the way,
the almond-tree shall flourish, the locust shall be made fat, and the caper-tree
shall be destroyed: because man shall go into the house of his eternity, and
the mourners shall go round about in the street. (Ecclus. 12: 1-5)
For venerable old age is not that of long time, nor counted by the number of
years: but the understanding of a man is gray hairs. And a spotless life is
old age. (Wis. 4: 8, 9)
Even to your old age I am the same, and to your gray hairs I will carry you:
I have made you, and I will bear: I will carry and will save. (Is. 46:4)
But speak thou the things that become sound doctrine: That the aged men be
sober, chaste, prudent, sound in faith, in love, in patience. The aged women,
in like manner, in holy attire, not false accusers, not given to much wine,
teaching well. (Titus, 2: 1-3)
OLD AGE, THE DIGNITY OF
In the ancient is wisdom, and in length of days, prudence. (Job 12: 12)
Old age is a crown of dignity, when it is found in the ways of justice. (Prov.
The joy of young men is their strength: and the dignity of old men, their gray
hairs. (Prov. 20:29)
O how comely is judgment for a gray head, and for ancients to know counsel!
O how comely is wisdom for the aged, and understanding and counsel to men of
honor! Much experience is the crown of old men, and the fear of God is their
glory. (Ecclus. 25: 6-8)
OLD AGE, RESPECT FOR
Rise up before the hoary head, and honor the person of the aged man: and fear
the Lord thy God. I am the Lord. (Lev. 19:32)
Make thyself affable to the congregation of the poor, and humble thy soul to
the ancient. (Ecclus. 4:7)
Despise not a man in his old age; for we also shall become old. (Ecclus.
Speak, thou that art elder: for it becometh thee, To speak the first word with
careful knowledge. (Ecclus. 32: 4, 5)
In the company of great men, take not upon thee: and when the ancients are
present, speak not much. Before a storm goeth lightning; and before shamefacedness
goeth favor; and for thy reverence, good grace shall come to thee. (Ecclus.
32: 13, 14)
An ancient man rebuke not, but entreat him as a father: Old women, as mothers.
(1 Tim. 5: 1,2)
OMISSION, SINS OF
See also: Life, useless and void of good, a - page 284.
Give them (the priests) their portion, as it is commanded thee, of the first
fruits and of purifications: and for thy negligences, purify thyself with a
few. (Ecclus. 7:34)
But thou hast not called upon me, O Jacob, neither hast thou labored about
me, O Israel. Thou hast not offered me the ram of thy holocaust, nor hast thou
glorified me with thy victims: I have not caused thee to serve with oblations,
nor wearied thee with incense. Thou hast brought me no sweet cane with money,
neither hast thou filled me with the fat of thy victims. But thou hast made
me to serve with thy sins, thou hast wearied me with thy iniquities. (Is.
Behold this was the iniquity of Sodom thy sister, pride, fulness of bread,
and abundance, and the idleness of her, and of her daughters: and they did not
put forth their hand to the needy, and to the poor. (Ezech. 16: 49)
Then shall he say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from
me you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his
angels. For I was hungry, and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty, and you
gave me not to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me not in: naked, and you
covered me not: sick and in prison, and you did not visit me. Then they also
shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, or thirsty, or
a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to thee? Then
he shall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to
one of these least, neither did you do it to me. And these shall go into everlasting
punishment. (Matt. 25: 41-46)
To him therefore who knoweth to do good, and doth it not, to him it is sin.
(James 4: 17)
Taken from A
Textual Concordance of the Holy Scriptures by TAN
Books & Publishers, Inc.
Other pages discussing Catholic
doctrine and history:
- Our Lord Jesus Christ
- The Sacred Heart
of Jesus - Learn all about this beautiful devotion to Our Lord.
- The Shroud of Our Lord -
Discusses the convroversy over the Shroud of Turin - is it real or a forgery? Evidence points to its authenticity.
- Infinite Mercy of Jesus - Learn how
the Heart of Jesus has a strong desire to love and pardon sinners who sincerely return to Him.
- The Blessed Virgin Mary
- The Blessed Virgin Mary
- Immaculate, pure, and our most powerful intercessor after Our Lord
- The Holy Slavery
- To Jesus, through Mary -- the same way Jesus came to us (through His Mother)
- Edifying and Beautiful -
Learn about God's Providence in regard to the Blessed Virgin Mary, her graces and merits, the details of her life!
- Our Lady of Fatima - Her predictions and warning for the future.
- Saints who Saw Mary
- Tells the story of 17 great Saints who saw and heard the Blessed Mother, whom they were so devoted to!
- History and Culture
- Wearing Pants Incites Men to Lust
- Learn how women's fashions have corrupted, how evil forces are behind most modern fashions, and much more! Includes practical advice.
- How to Run a Catholic Family
- Discusses how to bring the Catholic Faith into family life! How the family can best celebrate feast days, and make use of good Catholic customs.
- A TRUE History Book -
This premise of this history book: The coming of Jesus Christ was the most important event in history.
- Catholic History Workbook -
Fascinating; hard to put down! It makes more sense of History than secular books which explain things in a disjointed manner.
- Homeschooling Workbook -
With questions for every chapter of Christ in the Americas - multiple choice, fill in the blank, true/false, and more!
- Crisis in the Church
- Read about St. Athanasius - faithful and courageous, known as the "champion of orthodoxy". One of the 33 Doctors of the Church!
- St. Athanasius - The great defender of the Catholic Faith against Arianism
- Crisis in the Church - How the enemies of God plot to overthrow the Church from within.
- Revolution in the Church - How Vatican II and its aftermath caused a crisis in the Catholic Church.
- Freemasonry - Pope Leo XIII unmasks this evil society, and forbids all Catholics to join.
- Combination of ALL Heresies - Pope St. Pius X unmasks the Modernists, giving us their doctrine and methods!
- Vatican II - Impartially discusses what happened at Vatican II -- mostly quotes from the men that were there!
- Fascinating if true - A man's deathbed confession.
- St. Therese, the Little Flower
- St. Therese the Little Flower - Under obedience, she tells the story of her childhood, religious life, etc.
- Mother of St. Therese - Learn about the woman who raised 5 saintly daughters, all of which entered the religious life!
- Father of St. Therese - Learn about the man who let the holy family of Lisieux so well, that his 5 daughters entered a convent!
- From the Sister of St. Therese - In her biography, she writes many things not found in
Story of a Soul.
- Lives of the Saints
- Learned Mystic and Theologian -
St. John of the Cross suffered greatly, even prison, for the Carmelite Reform. Father of the Discalced Carmelites.
- Beautiful story of a young girl -
Anne de Guigne was clever and passionate, yet practiced humility and all the other virtues -- and she died at the age of 10.
- Refuge for Billions of Catholics -
Catholics have always prayed to these saints in their necessities. St. Blaise, St. Christopher, etc. Includes countless novenas!
- St. Anne - Grandmother of Our Lord -
According to Ven. Mary of Agreda, she possessed all the virtues, especially purity. Learn more about her!
- Young Italian Maiden -
Who suffered the Stigmata every Friday, and was pious from her youth. St. Gemma Galgani, called the "Gem of Christ"
- Heroic Chastity -
Read how St. Maria Goretti had to give up her life to preserve her purity! She is called the patroness of youth.
- All Glory to Almighty God -
Well documented cases of the miraculous taken from the lives of the Saints. Fascinating!
- Defeated Persian Sorcerers -
The glorious life of St. Jude Thaddeus, Apostle and cousin of Our Lord, as taken from ancient Catholic traditions.
- Angels and Devils -
Learn all that Scripture and Tradition teaches us about the pure spirits God created. Fascinating and enlightening!
- Life of Mary Magdalen - Learn fascinating details of her life that you didn't know before! From the visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich.
- The Angel of the Judgment
- At a critical point in Church history, his preaching and miracles served as a warning of impending chastisement.
- Miracles All His Life -
The miraculous was very common in the life of St Gerard Majella, great saint and Patron of Expectant Mothers.
- Eyewitness to Gospel events -
Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich saw so many biblical events in her visions. Be inspired and edified by her virtuous life!
- United with Jesus Christ -
She suffered for souls and for the Church, and received countless visions all her life. One man wrote down her visions for YOUR sake!
- Never a Moment Wasted
- this zealous missionary and client of Our Lady is a model for all Catholics. Read about his saintly life.
- She saw her Guardian Angel
- this innocent girl tells us the story of her saintly life -- beautiful, inspiring!
- Servants of Satan
Establish Paganism - Astrology, witchcraft, and countless systems of idolatry
set up after the Confusion of Tongues.
- Fervent Catholic Indians - Father De Smet was like an Apostle, suffering greatly to bring the True Religion to the Native American peoples.
- Classic Sermons for Lent - On the Last Things, aimed at moving you to serve God even more
faithfully. By St. Francis de Sales.
- Those Who Met St. Padre
Pio - Stories of conversions, miracles, etc. from those who met this living Crucifix. Recently canonized.
- Beat Up by the Devil
- This great Saint had prophetic visions in the form of dreams, and often physically struggled with the devil.
- Life of St Gertrude
- Our Lord appeared to her many times, and she was much loved by Him because of her purity.
- Jesus Dearly Loved Her
- Because of her love and confidence in him, her heart was His favorite place to dwell, after the Blessed Sacrament.
- The Dolorous Passion - Giving never before seen details of Our Lord's Passion! From
the visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich.
- Braving the English
Torture - St. Margaret Clitherow was a wife and mother - and she kept the Faith even to martyrdom!
- Details of The Good Thief - Learn about his life with a gang of brigands, how he helped the
Holy Family, and much more.
- Classic Catholic Sermons - You won't fall asleep here! Sermons by a Doctor of the Church, filled with energy and the spirit of Faith.
- Miracles Taking Place Today - St. Philomena is famous for the number of miracles surrounding her shrine - here are some of them.
- Isabella of Spain - A holy Catholic queen, and a valiant defender of Christ's kingdom.
- St Anthony - the Wonder Worker - His life was filled with proofs that God was with him.
- St Vincent de Paul - famous for his charities, this great Saint was canonized only 77 years after his death!
- The Cure of Ars - Three of him could destroy the devil's kingdom! Read about his physical struggles with Satan.
- St. Rita - Nothing is impossible with God! Her life is an example for us all, especially to mothers.
- Sermons of St. Francis de Sales - Here he speaks all about the kinds of prayer.
Learn what (and what not) to do!
- St. Teresa of Avila - She founded many convents, which were to adhere to the strict observance of the Carmelite Rule.
- St. Elizabeth of Hungary - Known for her generosity to the poor
- Alexandrina - A victim soul who suffered the Passion on Fridays
- The Spiritual Life
- Jesus, Prisoner of Love
- Meditations on the most beautiful doctrine of the Catholic Faith - the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist
- Spiritual Exercises
- Written by a great saint, these meditations have converted millions of souls.
- Manual of the Spiritual Life - Your duties as a penitent toward your confessor/spiritual director.
- Lessons from Calvary - 31 meditations on Our Lord's Passion that will help you to easily avoid sin.
- Finding Peace of Heart
- Only by knowing how to follow God's will, can a person be truly happy.
- Strategy for Getting to Heaven - We must learn how the devil works on us, how to avoid his snares, to win the "War for our Souls".
- How to Fight the Deadly Sins - Timeless advice on how to combat each of the Capital sins.
- A Manual for Confession -
How to benefit from the Sacrament of Penance: common pitfalls, scruples, how to make a good exam of conscience, and much more.
- Seven Deadly Sins -
Learn about the different forms of pride, avarice, lust, anger, envy, gluttony and sloth.
- How to Pray Well -
How we should pray to God - with confidence, perseverance, simplicity. Advice from St. Alphonsus Liguori!
- Marriage & Family
- How to Raise Good Catholic Children - With examples from the saints and wise and thoughtful commentary - a must-read for every parent!
- Haunted by Children She Aborted - Testimony from her own mouth: how she had 7 abortions, and how her life changed afterward.
- Catholic Doctrine on Marriage - Common sources of marital strife and how to avoid them, the differences between the sexes, periodic abstinence, and more.
- Your Labor of Love - The author talks about isolation, sufferings, the modern culture, and more.
- Spiritual Growth during Pregnancy - How expecting a child can bring a woman closer to God and the Blessed Virgin Mary. Includes much practical advice.
- St. Joseph
- St. Joseph - After Our Lady, the holiest mere man who ever lived
- Privileges of St. Joseph - Why St. Joseph receives so much honor in the Church
- Novenas to St. Joseph -
Universal Patron - Pray to St. Joseph for all of your needs - Jesus, now in Heaven, still listens to him as a father!
- The Last Things/Afterlife
- Death, Judgment, Hell, Heaven - The Saints always thought about their last end, and so should we. Brings the reality of eternity before your eyes!
- Life Everlasting - Discusses death, judgment, heaven and hell; also the vices and virtues
- Beyond the Grave -
What we know about Purgatory from sacred history and the lives of the saints.
- Peaceful Rest or Almost Like Hell? - Discusses the two opposing Catholic viewpoints on the subject of Purgatory.
- Purgatory - Learn what the Catholic Church has always taught on this subject.
- What Will Hell be Like? - Discusses the sufferings of Hell in detail.
- Eternity of Hell - Including a story from a soul who was sent there!
- Catholic Doctrine and Dogma
- What is Sanctifying Grace? -
Learn all about the nature of Grace, what it does for us, how to increase it in our souls, and its importance.
- Catholic Dogma of Grace - God's grace vs. man's ability to merit for his actions.
- Sin and Forgiveness - True Catholic doctrine with quotes from Scripture and the Fathers.
- The Intellect of the Angels - What Catholic theology says about the angels.
- Simple Easy-to-Understand Catechism - For Catholics to better learn their faith, or to give to possible converts.
- Sodomy Condemned -
The Catholic Church has always condemned this unnatural vice - see proofs from the Magisterium, Church laws, Scripture, canons, and more!
- The Mass Keeps the World in Existence - and other lofty considerations; helps Catholics
appreciate the real value of the Mass.
- The Catholic Mass - Why it is so priceless; relates actual events which prove it!
- The Catholic Faith - Easy to read and follow, using the most solid Catholic doctrine. Very thorough.
- What Does The Bible Say About Marriage? - Find all Bible quotes about "Anger", for example, gathered into one page.
- Defending the Faith/Apologetics
- The REAL Luther - From the pens of Protestant historians, and Luther's own (foul) mouth -
learn about the real man.
- The Faith of our Fathers - A topic-by-topic explanation of what the Catholic Faith teaches. Great for apologetics!
- The Bible Explained - Why were all those various stories placed in the Bible for us to read? Here is why!
- How Christ Changed Society - Compare the ancient world with the world influenced by Christ.
- Scripture Alone for Salvation? - Even the Bible itself denies this! Read 21 compelling
reasons why Tradition is also necessary.
- The Bible is a Catholic book - Convincing arguments show clearly that criticism of the Catholic Church has no truthful basis! Excellent apologetics based on history.
- Defend Catholic Dogmas - Find rational arguments for what Catholics believe.
- Theory of Evolution
- Evolution Hoax Debunked -
A learned scientist discovers that there is no evidence FOR Evolution, but plenty AGAINST it!
- Proofs against Evolution -
Plenty of evidence against Evolution is out there, but it is often ignored by the media. Fascinating!
- Evolution is a
Fraud - So say countless biologists and scientists! Read more...
- King of Jerusalem
- Balwin IV of Jerusalem leads the Crusaders in this exciting novel.
- Exciting Adventures
- Tom Playfair and his friends at a Jesuit boarding school. Exciting, Catholic, fun!
- More Catholic Adventures
- written by Fr. Finn - Percy Wynn meets Tom Playfair and friends, and enters the boarding school (St. Maure's).
- Perpetual Motion Boy
- The Fr. Finn boarding school universe expands with Claude Lightfoot and other interesting characters.
- That Football Game
- written by Fr. Finn - Which is more important? English class, a math competition, or an upcoming football game?
Return to Catholic Doctrine